Novel Gardener

Monday, January 15, 2007

Garden Views or Tubes

Week 9 #20-22

Would I like to watch someone garden or garden myself? Silly question. I don't like to watch unless it's a view of falling rain or a nice TV gardening show (I'm also partial to a few other shows ...Landline comes to mind).
So.. I'm NOT a YouTube fan & could not be bothered waiting ages for the time it takes to open footage on my laptop - I'd rather watch grass grow - well maybe that is excessive given the drought - I do need to finish before the end of January! I picked this 'tube' because it reminded me of something ...something green that I haven't seen for some time ... but the quality is poor & there is no audio. No doubt there are many other good views but they are too slow & I don't see much value to library patrons unless they are more than merely 'live scrapbooks'.
I could see an advantage for local historians in having footage available via our website for remote users.



Yahoo Podcasts

This is another slow process & frankly I can read quicker than they can speak, so I'm too impatient to listen. If I had an MP3 player (hint, hint) I would probably download relevant & useful stuff to listen to when out ...oh, I don't know .... in the GARDEN! That would be agreeable.
I've reluctantly broken away from my theme for this task & searched for book review podcasts. I found several & picked one that seemed popular. Unfortunately it was even slower to download than Youtube, so I gave up. I also had trouble subscribing via Bloglines but eventually I was able to subscribe to an RSS of Nancy Pearl's book reviews - i just won't be able to listen to them.

Audiobooks

Another wait for the tutorial to download & the PLCMC site was closed for Martin Luther Day!! But I see from the YPRL Blog that we are to use another site. A pity as I have been trying to have a look at a commercial audiobook site for some time & keep missing out. This is one area I was really keen to explore.
http://worldebookfair.com/Mp3eBooks.htm

Tried to download 'Little Match Girl' to listen to via Media Player. The first mirror site I tried was a bad link but the second worked - just slow. The story seemed to be only 50 secs long but no indication of this seemed to be given on the screen. Did I miss something?Where is the info re what size MP3 player you need? How many books can fit on, say, a 1GB memory? Would also like to know how international the downloadable collections would be. Listened to a section of "The Happy Prince" & found the American narrator to be very irritating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home